Friday, March 23, 2007

digital right management

I am noticing an increasing amount of negative comments on digital rights management (drm) in the popular press.

The law suite against consumers by riaa and mpaa probably has ticked off a lot of people, but I think that large content providers such as google, apple, etc. are comming to the assessment that the road blocks that drm puts up infront of the consumer is not worth the decreace in piracy that is achieved.

Steve Jobs and others have noted that what is really sold on-line is convience and drm goes counter to this.

I find drm a real pain since I am a Linux user (codecs, etc). I don't steal stuff so the upshot of the drm aspects is that I need to work harder to get things such as music and movies to work on my computer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home