Tuesday, June 05, 2007

current pc environment

I wonder why, after 25 years, the PC environment is still so poor. Regardless of the operating system, there seem to always be problems. In the Windows world, with such a wide selection of software, it seems that we should be able to find applications that do not fail, but unfortunately, I find that most software fails to live up to expectations - ether features do not work as documented and/or the programs crash at times.

I am sure that part of the problem stems from too great a variety in hardware, but I also feel that software is poorly constructed. This is true for both proprietary and open source software, but in the open source software arena, bugs are usually fixed very quickly and, my impression is that for main line OSS there are fewer bugs than in main line proprietary software.

Fundementaly, I believe that much of the problem is that the consumer is too tolerant of software that does not perform well. The expectation is that at some level all software will fail.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home